Tuesday 22 December 2020

I-Droid 01

 



I acquired an I-Droid:01 (Dutch version i-Qbot:01) in December of 2021


The I-Droid:01 started life back in 2005. It has some exhalent hardware inside it.

I have done a modification to the power pack like I did with my other projects. I think Li-Po are great. (I will show details if asked)

I-Droid_01_Battery_Box_Power_Circuit.pdf

I also placed the video cables inside the robot.

I have made a new PC remote controller for it.
The original being made when we had Windows XP.
I had difficulty getting the original to work on windows 10.

My work is always work in progress but I think I have covered most, apart from the claw, I do not have one.


Download: I-Droid_01_Remote_Controller.zip  ver. 2.0.1.2


I have added a file explorer so that you can view Photos taken by I-Droid:01

Updated the view of *.c files to give them an editor look. (credit here for FCTB)

This is the fist time I have written something that receives video via Bluetooth.

Like most robot they have there pros and cons.
One cons with this robot is that it has not a very powerful drive system, sometimes it struggles with uneven terrain.
So I will also be making a modification to the drive wheels in the future.

Didn't Have a Serial Cable so made my own.


Colour

RJ12 Pins

RS232 Pins

Function

Blue

1

NC

None

Yellow

2

5

GND

Green

3

8

CTS

Red

4

3

TD

Black

5

7

RTS

White

6

2

RD

I do not have a tool to crimp an RJ12(6P6C) to the end of a cable, so I bought a ready made cable from eBay, which had an RJ12 on each end. I cut it in half then soldered a 9 pin D-Sub to the cut end. (The colours of the wire may not be the same, it's the pin numbers that matter.)

Done a tool to control I-Droid with a TV Infrared Remote.



Bluetooth Dongle.

I don't have an original Bluetooth dongle for the PC.
I think it was a BELKIN F8T013.
I have tried several from eBay, the one that currently works best for me is one that has the CSR 4.0 (formerly Cambridge Silicon Radio) manufactured chip.

Default Bluetooth PIN
0000

Android Application.

I have decided to make an Android application to run on my phone.
The Application has been tested on the following:
  • My phone is SONY, Android 9.0 (Pie) API 28, The video does not work correctly on the SONY.
  • My tablet is an ASUS, Android 5.1 (Lollypop) API 22, The application works OK on this.
  • My sons phone is SAMSUNG, Android 10.0 (Q) API 29, The application works OK on this.
  • I have an old HTC Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) API 14, hacked to take Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) API 23.
The Minimum Android version is: Android 5.1 (Lollipop) API 22.
The Target Android version is: Android 9.0 (Pie) API 28.

I don't know why I am having issues with my SONY phone yet.
When it receives data via Bluetooth the data stream is very very very Slow. ZZzzzzzz.
If anyone knows of this issue and a fix please let me know.

Current version is: 1.2 (any previously installed version should be uninstalled first)

Connection Screen:
The "Paired Bluetooth Devices" on the left of the screen is a scrollable list of current paired Bluetooth devices on the Android Device.
Scroll the list to find I-Droid01. (you have to have paired I-Droid before running the Application)
Tap I-Droid01 text to select, then tap Connect.
If it connect OK, the next screen will appear.

Controller Screen:
I hope this is self explanatory.

Screen shot with video:
Max video resolution is 160x120.

To close the application, click the square button on your navigation bar, wait to see the X on the application and click it to close.




To be continued. (At sometime)







You can find more information about this robot at:













No comments:

Post a Comment