Tuesday 11 January 2022

ESP32-CAM Rotating the Camera


Got my self an ESP32-CAM Module.


The camera image cannot be rotated using the firmware for the camera module, so the module needs to held horizontal with the LED to the bottom like it is shown above.

This is for Camera Modules:
HW-297 OV2640 (shown above)
TY-OV2 640-V2.0 (shown below)

I like things symmetrical and so I want the module to sit on my ROV vertical.
To do this the camera module will need to be rotated manually.
There is just enough length on the ribbon cable to do this.
The ribbon will need to be folded a certain way.
Folded correctly will rotate the camera 90 degrees and will put the aerial of the module to the top and the SD slot to the bottom.
I will not be using the SD slot as I need the GPIO Pins for controlling the motors on the ROV I will be making.

The First Fold.

This is a 45 degree fold in the ribbon.
Try to get it equal distance from both ends.
Gently squeeze the ribbon flat, I used some smooth pliers.

The Second Fold

After making the second fold, put a small drop of superglue between the ribbon of the first fold and a drop of superglue between the camera module and ribbon of the second fold.
Hold the camera down on a flat surface to stick the ribbon in place.

Last Fold

Once the ribbon is glued in place the last two bends can be done.
Because the connection for the camera module is lower than the SD case, a "Z" shape bend needs to be made to the ribbon close to the connector strip.

Fitted

Now with the camera module fitted, the ESP32-Cam Module will need to be held Vertically.
SD slot to the bottom and the aerial to the top.




I recently got another ESP32-CAM, it came with an 8225N V2.0 171026 Camera Module.
This Camera module did not require any rotation, it's orientation is already as the old ones after folding.






4 comments:

  1. Many thanks for the advice, I myself would not have dared to bend the camera cable. I managed to repeat and it works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry your post was not posted earlier, I just found it waiting moderation.

      Delete
  2. Do you know other camera module that have same orientation with TY-OV2 640-V2.0?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. every thing I have had is in the post, if I get other types I will update.

      Delete